The easiest way to determine whether you comply with the D.C. Clean Hands mandate is to request a Certificate of Clean Hands from the D.C. Office of Tax and Revenue (OTR) if you have a DC MyTax account. The portal will immediately issue a Certificate of Clean Hands if you are compliant. If you are not, you will be issued a Notice of Non-Compliance explaining why you did not comply.
Alternatively, call the Collection Unit at the Office of Tax and Revenue (202-724-5045). We highly recommend calling when they open at 8:30 am or as early as possible to avoid longer hold times.
You have a MyTax account:
- Go to mytax.dc.gov and log in using the username and password you used to create your account. (This is not your rentjiffy account login information)
- Once logged in, you will see an action bar starting with Favorite. In this bar, click on “More”.
- In the “Account Management” box, click “Request a Certificate of Clean Hands.”
- The following screen will define whether you are eligible to obtain a Certificate of Clean Hands or not. If you are not eligible, it will provide reasons why. Click next to request the Certificate of Clean Hands or Notice of Non-Compliance, depending on which applies. IMPORTANT: If you aren't eligible, the Notice of Non-Compliance will provide the exact agency(ies) and contact information you need to contact to get more details.
- You may have a screen that requires you to hit “Submit.” If so, click “Submit.”
- On the Confirmation pop-up, enter the password associated with your MyTax account and then OK.
- You will now be directed to a confirmation page that states you have successfully requested the Clean Hands Certificate or Notice of Non-Compliance. Click OK, and you will be taken to the main account page.
- From the Messages & Letters box, click on “View Letters.”
- You should find a copy of your Certificate of Clean Hands or Notice of Non-Compliance.
From RentJiffy: Yes, that’s a lot of steps. As you likely already know, D.C. doesn’t make anything super easy. We hope you found the steps easy to follow, though.
You are a non-resident of the District and do not have a DC MyTax account:
- Go to mytax.dc.gov. Scroll down the page to the section titled “Clean Hands.”
- Click Request a Certificate of Clean Hands
- Follow the instructions and answer the questions to obtain a Certificate of Clean Hands.
- D.C. Office of Tax and Revenue will email you the certificate after reviewing your request.
Important Note: For non-residents, you must upload a scanned copy of your government-issued I.D. as proof of identity.
You are a resident or a business registered with the D.C. Office of Corporations but do not have a DC MyTax account. You will first need to set up a MyTax account. Please take a look at the attached e-book provided by D.C. Tax with instructions on setting up your MyTax account. For verification purposes, you will need the Notice Number, which appears on the Notice of Business Tax Registration that OTR mailed you following the email we sent you letting you know that your Business Tax Registration has been accepted.
Suppose you are an individual and have previously filed an Individual Income Tax return with D.C. In that case, you may be able to use the most recently filed return instead of the Notice of Business Tax Registration (refer to page 6 of the e-book).
If you have not received the Notice of Business Tax Registration and cannot verify using an individual income tax return, we recommend calling OTR (202-724-5045) to confirm your compliance status.