How can I be exempt from Rent Control in Washington, D.C.?

To be exempt from rent control regulations in Washington, D.C., a property must undergo registration with the Rental Accommodations Office within the Department of Housing and Community Development. Approval for exemption from Rent Control is contingent upon this registration. Otherwise, the property falls under the provisions of the Rent Control Act.

Common allowable exemptions include:

  • Rental units owned or subsidized by the Federal or District governments.
  • Rental units constructed after 1975.
  • Rental units (including condominium or cooperative units) owned by an individual who possesses no more than four rental units within the District of Columbia.
  • Rental units that were vacant at the time the Act became effective.
  • Housing accommodations under a building improvement plan receiving rehabilitation assistance through DCHD.

Articles in this section

Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful